Index Home About Blog
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 00:06:50 -0800
From: Johnny <johnny@johnny-enterprises.com>
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Anybody ever gotten a Model Hot Air Balloon to fly?

Yet another route, all though not really a balloon, is the road flare
and parachute method. This is a great one at night because you can see
the flare literally for miles, and it will get really good altitude and
range because of the extended flight time and excessive heat. I've heard
of them being able to go from one end of Seattle to the other, if the
wind was just right.

Method of attachment varied, but usually it consisted of a ring of some
sort to keep the strings for the parachute on an outside perimeter to
the flare. The flare was supported vertically inside the ring. Parachute
canopy was typically 3-6 feet in diameter. The string length was one of
the key factors to let the canopy capture the heat, without getting so
hot that it would burn. The mysterious flight path and glow of the units
were told to have prompted more than one UFO report. Loads of fun for
bored kids. This was before we had the Young Eagles program of course.
;)

-j-

Index Home About Blog