Index Home About Blog
From: "Michael A. Pilla" <mpilla@mitre.org>
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Subject: Re: How the things were found out (was: To BWB - a puzzle to solve)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:36:07 -0400

I replied directly to Doug.  I made a quick search of the still packed
cartons of books and the boomerang books were not there.  Any further
searching would have me in deep trouble on the home front (we're building
a house and my wife is trying to keep things bottled up fairly tight to
save repacking, etc. :-)

There was no dihedral; placing the flat bottoms on a flat surface
resulted in no rocking.

The throwing 'rangs had a rather large inner angle, but I was informed
that it was a characteristic of the particular types that I had
purchased.

The arms are pretty much the same length (hand made variances, I would
guess).

When I get the books finally unpacked, I'll see if I can find the
reference books.  At one time I had a rather extensive library on 'rangs
since I had been interested in competition (only one contest, and did not
finish last :-).

One other funny incident that I just recalled.  My middle son (who is now
an Aeronautical Engineer at a well known aerospace company) learned how
to make cardboard 'rangs about two or so inches across (think of a plus
sign with twist in each leg).  In highschool, he used to launch them by
flicking one with his finger while the tiny 'rang was at rest on the
pages of his text book held at some appropriate angle.  The 'rang would
just barely clear the nose of the student in front of him, zipping right
back to my son who would catch it and "palm" it.  He told me it flew by
so fast that it was sort of a blur and the target would look all around
trying to figure out if some pesky fly was buzzing around him.  How my
son got away with it without a teacher finding out is beyond me.

Michael Pilla

Index Home About Blog