Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: sci.aeronautics.airliners
From: drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Subject: Re: The Sporty Game -- Boeing 757
Date: 03 Dec 92 00:40:14 PST

In article <airliners.1992.70@ohare.Chicago.COM> cyberoid@stein.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

>As a frequent air traveler, I find the 757 to be positively the most
>uncomfortable aircraft now flying.  One can begin with the ubiquitous
>TV monitors hanging from the ceilings every few rows, which cannot be
>dimmed or turned off even on a red-eye, and progress to the remarkable
>number of seats that can be squeezed into row upon row of stifled
>passengers.  It may be a technical feat, but I know instruct my travel
>agent to pass on any flight requiring me to take a 757.  Yeck.

I hasten to point out that it is no fault of the airplane, or of the
manufacturer for that matter, that you have been overcrowded.  The interior
of the airplane is determined by the operator.  All the interiors.
Interiors, sometimes called 'payloads', fall in the category of 'BFE', or
Buyer Furnished Equipment.  That means that when Delta stuffs 38 rows (or
whatever the precise number happens to be) into a 757, you get a 30" seat
pitch (or a 29" or a 28"!).  Don't blame the manufacturer or the airplane.

As another illustration, take a look at American's 727-200s.  Originally
designed as a 150+ seat transport, they use it as a 129 seater.  Nice 34"
seat pitch over almost the entire airplane (the first class has it even
better).  But the American ticket typically costs more.  You pays your
money and you takes your pick.

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com

From: Jeffrey.Spitzer@nospam.gat.com (Jeff Spitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.homebuilt
Subject: Favorite commercial airline *SEAT*
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 19:13:06 GMT

That's what I read when I saw the question about favorite airline
websites.  It reminded me of a good tip that every aviation buff
should know.  Exit rows are the best.  They have first class
(practically) leg room and guaranteed no screaming kids.  But, beware,
some A/C like the newer 737's (I think) have dual overwing doors.  In
these cases the front exit row seats don't recline.  That makes the
second exit row seats even better!  Plenty of leg room, no reclining
in front, and federal law prohibits kids!  BTW, the airline reps all
know this tidbit and smile and nod when you request a exit row at the
gate.

Happy flying, commercial  style :-(
Jeff Spitzer

Index Home About Blog