Index Home About Blog
From: redneckteck@aol.comspam (John Hare)
Newsgroups: sci.space.tech
Date: 21 Feb 2001 11:03:22 GMT
Subject: Stagnation temperature and Pressure Tables

I need to locate published tables that I can show to
people without a math background. The tables that
I have available are not clear to the investors I am
talking to due to the format. If you show them a table
with P/Po = .128 at mach 2 or T/To = .556, then eyes
glaze and I lose connection. I am looking for possibly
less accurate tables that give the results directly for
various altitudes, temperatures, and airspeeds.
Pressure ratio of 8 and temperature 500 degrees
type layout. Calculating this myself would be less
convincing.

The project involves convincing certain people that
we don't need NASA tiles for a mach 4 reentry.

later
John Hare

From: "Jeff Greason" <jgreason@hughes.net>
Newsgroups: sci.space.tech
Subject: Re: Stagnation temperature and Pressure Tables
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:45:03 -0800

The most beautiful tables for this I've ever seen
are really useful design nomographs in a 1957
pocket-sized book, _Supersonic Propulsion
Handbook_, published by Marquardt.  The book
is almost impossible to find but worth looking
for -- I got my copy about 3 months back and
it's already one of my most frequently referenced
books.

Catch me off-line for more, John, but I thought
the reference worth bringing to the attention
of the group.

"Limited funds are a blessing, not         Jeff Greason
a curse.  Nothing encourages creative      President & Eng. Mgr.
thinking in quite the same way." --L. Yau  XCOR Aerospace
   <www.xcor-aerospace.com>                <jgreason@hughes.net>

From: "Jeff Greason" <jgreason@hughes.net>
Newsgroups: sci.space.tech
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:22:50 -0800

Peter Hanely wrote:
> Is it out of print?  If so permission might be gained to post
> part or all on the web.  I, for one, would like to get ahold of
> such information.

Sigh.  Almost certainly, but probably 18 of the top 20
references I find helpful are out of print.  I made one
semi-serious attempt to get permission to reprint
one (not even on the web, but as a special reproduction
edition), and made very little progress.  If any of
those people out there who claim they'd love to help
but aren't rocket engineers want to take up the project,
I'm sure Henry and I could come up with a dozen
books we'd love to see available in a UMI reprint
edition -- I simply don't have the time to pursue it.