Index Home About Blog
From ean.ubc.cdn!list-redistribution  Tue Mar 29 13:36:30 1988
Date: 29 Mar 88 10:23 -0800
From: Nick Papadakis <nick@mc.lcs.mit.edu>
Sender: security@aim.rutgers.edu
To: BALDWIN@xx.lcs.mit.edu
Cc: hobbit@aim.rutgers.edu
Subject: police radar

Bob -

	I have a large amount of material on the subject of police
radar, amassed back when I lived in a state where radar detectors are
illegal.  There has been at least one book published on the subject
("How to beat police radar - and win"), a study by the National Highway
Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), and scores of magazine
articles - mostly in "Car and Driver" and similar publications.

	The truth is that police radar, to be used effectively, requires
a hell of a lot more training and care than most police officers are
willing to give.

	So what?  As long as we continue to hire the dregs of society in
order to police it, (I have a couple of personal friends who are police
officers, and I hate to make sweeping generalizations like this, but the
fact of the matter is that -most- police officers are bullies who have
discovered that they can bully more effectively with a badge than
without one.) and the courts are in awe of this "technological
solution", innocent people will continue to be harrassed for just trying
to get from point A to point B.

	If I get *really* motivated, I might consider writing up a flame
on the subject, but I've had a bit of flu recently, and the suject in
general is one which raises my hackles and gives me indigestion.

		*		*		*

	Some years ago, I got a really good idea that could elimimate the
threat of police radar once and for all.  It works like this:

	We find some radar operators who have recently come down with
some medical problem - anything from the flu to prostate cancer.  We
send them (and their doctors) some questionaires from a bogus "Institute
for Microwave Research", asking about how long they have been radar
operators, and whether they have ever experienced:

A) dizziness
B) headaches
C) unexplained anger or frustration while on the job
D) impotence

	and implying heavily that these things *might* be related to
long-term exposure to microwaves.  Maybe we find a disenchanted ex-cop
who would be willing to sue his former employers over the issue.  Then
we go to the tabloids ...

	After the Weekly World News does an article: "POLICE RADAR FRIES
COPS' BALLS!" the Institute for Microwave Research sends out another
questionaire, this one to *every* member of the Fraternal Order of
Police.  Naturally, the radar manufacturers will deny everything -
"There is absolutely no evidence etc. etc." - but nobody will believe
them if we do the groundwork properly.

	The misuse of police radar in court is based on a simple-minded
and unquestioning faith in technology.  It takes very little in the way
of nasty rumors to convert that kind of mindset into one of hostility
and disbelief.  That is all it would take for cops themselves to stop
using the damn things.

	And remember, the grapevine around here is 56 kilobaud.  We
could do this *simultaneously* all over the country, and it would be
even more convincing.

	So what do you think?

		Take care,

			- nic