Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Need help w/ melting aluminum
From: dwilkins@northernnet.com (Don Wilkins)
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 1995 14:03:15 GMT

On 24 Dec 1995 23:01:19 GMT, daveab@ix.netcom.com (David Abate) wrote:

>I need help melting aluminum and magnesium to form an alloy.  Aluminum
>melts at 660 degrees celsius and magnesium at 651 degrees celsius.
>These melting points are far above the melting point of lead which
>melts at 327 degrees celsius.

<Potential tragedy snipped>

>Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance
>and wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

My recommendation would be to buy the Al-Mg alloy. If you must do this
then make sure all insurance premiums are fully paid. You might
consider increasing hospitalization coverage too.

Your big problem is trying to melt Mg. When it catches fire it can be
serious. You are not skilled in the art or you wouldn't have tried to
melt these reactive metals in a skillet. I am hesitant to recommend
anything because of the potential for disaster.

  _               _   _                  Für d' Flöh gibts a Pulver
 (_|   |   |_/o  | | | |  o              für d' Schuach gibts a Wix,
   |   |   |     | | | |      _  _    ,   für'n Durst gibts a Wasser
   |   |   |  |  |/  |/_) |  / |/ |  / \_  bloss fuer d' Dummheit gibts nix.

Index Home About Blog