Index Home About Blog
From: Robert Bastow <Tubal_cain@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Aging cast iron : time to move on
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 05:45:11 GMT

You're right Kurt, it is time to move on.

I don't mean to belittle your belief in experimental data.

BUT!!

I am the one who roughed out a lathe bed on a 42' planer and came back after the
weekend to find 3/8" of movement had taken place...Damned thing "Twanged" when I
loosened the clamp bolts!!

Same bed came back after 3 weeks of ambient temp. aging, and I finish planed it
"dead on"

Three months later the finished machine passed final inspection..no further
movement in bed.

From PERSONAL experience I can assure you that castings move for months after
casting...and again after rough machining.  I can also assure you that nothing
but "aging" is required to rectify that.

Respectfully

Robert (well aged) Bastow

Index Home About Blog