Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Newsgroups: sci.med
Subject: Re: Meaning of "Venery"??
Date: 29 Jan 1998 18:10:41 GMT

In <34D07202.5057@bbsrc.ac.uk> Henk-Jeroen <henk.smit@bbsrc.ac.uk>
writes:

>I came across the 17th century English word 'venery', in a medical
>context but I have no clue what it could mean. Any medical assistance?
>
>Your help will be greatly appreciated.
>Please e-mail me on henk.smit@bbsrc.ac.uk
>
>Thanks,
>
>Henk Smit
>Research Psychologist
>Institute of Food Research
>Reading, UK

   An old semi-medical term referring to "excessive" sexual
intercourse, especially illicit intercourse.  Once upon a time, doctors
thought that such things caused all kinds of health problems.

   Language use: "The patient has had a problem with venery for some
time, and now has generally lowered vitality and complains of
difficulty in preparing for job functions, such as his forthcoming
State of the Union Address."

                                    Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog