Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Subject: Re: ear itch
Date: 31 Oct 1996
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative

In <32779FCF.144F@arlington.net> richie <nrichard@arlington.net>
writes:

>The doctor says he doesn't know why it itches and has not suggested a
>remedy.  I am not a swimmer, but do take showers.  The best I can come up
>with to stop the itching is to swab with a Q-Tip and hyd. peroxide.

That's a good start.  If your doc has looked, and you don't have a
perforated eardrum (watch that Q-tip), you can try putting some triple
antibiotic ointment (neomycin-bacitracin-polymyxin B) into your ear.
Push it in with some rolled up Kleenex (NOT the Q-tip).  Repeat twice a
day for a week.  There are somewhat better ear drops, but they require
a prescription.  The ointment is messy, but will work.  At least, it
will work if you have bacterial otitis externa, the most common cause
of ear itch.

                                          Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog