Index Home About Blog
From: "Steve Harris" <sbharris@ix.RETICULATEDOBJECTcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Subject: Re: Sea salt & iodine
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 20:22:29 -0600

"Jacqueline" <jacquelinejunk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9857c0c8.0206051659.2337088@posting.google.com...
> Hi, I went to see a nutritionist and they recommended I switch to sea
> salt from regular salt.

I'd love to know your "nutritionist's" thinking on that. Does this person
have a degree from an accredited university?  I smell quackery.

> We do eat a lot of seafood (about 2 times a week, working on
> increasing that to 3 or more) and I eat seaweed (in sushi and miso
> soup) at least a couple times a month.
>
> Am I getting enough iodine in my diet or should I switch back to
> regular iodized salt?

Comment:

It's very likely you've getting more than enough iodine.  Is there some
reason you can't take a stardard multivit with trace minerals to be sure?

Sea salt has some magnesium in it (that's what makes it cake) but so do a
lot of other foods. The only thing sea salt is likely to have in it that a
standard vit/mineral supplement won't, is some bromide.  Bromide doesn't do
much in the body, except that eosinophils seem to use it preferentially for
their myeloperoxidase, and I've always wondered if bromide makes people who
suffer allergies worse.  But apparently nobody has studied this.

If you have allergies and they get worse on the stuff, you might experiment
by stopping it.

Trivia: there's a little girl on the front of the Morton's salt box with
salt spilling as she walks, and the motto "When it rains, it pours."  That's
a nice little pun meaning the stuff doesn't cake in humid conditions. A
result of removing the magnesium that is present in natural ocean salts.
Now, people pay extra to leave it in. Go figure.

SBH

Index Home About Blog