Index Home About Blog
From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Subject: Re: The viability threshold
Date: 19 Jul 2005 14:53:15 -0700

Phil Scott wrote:
> .
>
> When one more straw on the camels back breaks it.
> You could call that the 'viability threshold'
>

> Here are some minor but obvious examples.  There is no need to
> hair split these for obvious exceptions.  the examples are
> used to illustrate a more general principle:
>

> Say a given person needs 2500 calories a day to be healthy...
> and some of it has to be fruits and vegitables.
>
> Then his income is cut 10%.. he now can afford 2,000 calories
> a day, but its mostly greasey fast food and no fruits and
> vegitables... he will have crossed the 'viability threshold'..
> that tiny change in income can take him from progressing and
> viable...to slowly going south...

COMMENT:

The problem with this ridiculous exercise is that "greasy fast foods"
are always more expensive than whole healthy bread, eggs, canned goods,
and produce.  Why?  Because you have to pay the doofuses who flip the
burgers, AND their bosses, AND the franchise, etc, etc, etc.

Go actually price bread, canned meat, eggs, and #10 tin cans of canned
fruit and vegetables and beans (which are perfectly nutritious). Meals
can be made for 30 cents. If you get past 50 cents, you're being a
luxury hog.

Of course, you have to do the work yourself.

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Date: 19 Jul 2005 19:48:19 -0700

George Cherry wrote:

> > Go actually price bread, canned meat, eggs, and #10 tin cans of canned
> > fruit and vegetables and beans (which are perfectly nutritious). Meals
> > can be made for 30 cents. If you get past 50 cents, you're being a
> > luxury hog.
> >
> > Of course, you have to do the work yourself.
>
> Also the shoplifting--to get healthy meals for under 50 cents.
>
> GWC

COMMENT

George, bread is 5 cents a slice and generic multivits are 5 cents
each. Eggs can be had for 10 cents each. If you shop at COSTCO and know
what you're doing, you can survive indefinitely on $1.50 a day, even
without resorting to canned catfood (which is perfectly nutritious but
embarrassing).

I suggest a homework project for you. Come down from the irory tower.

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med.nutrition
Date: 20 Jul 2005 16:50:25 -0700

George Cherry wrote:
> Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> >> Also the shoplifting--to get healthy meals for under 50 cents.
> >>
> >> GWC
> >

> > COMMENT
> >
> > George, bread is 5 cents a slice and generic multivits are 5 cents
> > each. Eggs can be had for 10 cents each. If you shop at COSTCO and know
> > what you're doing, you can survive indefinitely on $1.50 a day, even
> > without resorting to canned catfood (which is perfectly nutritious but
> > embarrassing).
> >
> > I suggest a homework project for you. Come down from the irory tower.
>
> Okay, I'll figure out what I actually spend per meal,
> but it's going to add up to a lot more than $0.50
> per meal. Let's take the bread I eat (bread made
> from organic whole sprouted grains and zero
> fat). I estimate each slice (I don't have a loaf in front
> of me) is about $0.20. I put raw organic almond
> butter on it and pop a couple of fish oil capsules.
> Hey, I've just started.

COMMENT:

Well, Jesus, George, it's going to be even more if you include the
Beluga caviar on the toast points.

One hopes the point was not that a person has to shoplift in order to
continue the spouted ground bread raw organic almond lifestyle to which
they've become accustomed. The point is you can stay alive on 50 cents
a meal without becoming malnourished. Whether or not your maximum life
span will be affected is something I can't tell. Probably, if you can't
afford the molecularly distilled fishoil, wild blueberry juice,
nanoemulsified CoQ10 and the particular hand-dug Cordyceps sinensis
smuggled out of a particular Buddhist monestary in mountains of Tibet.

SBH

Index Home About Blog