Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative
Subject: Re: IP-6
Date: 14 Aug 1998 03:06:47 GMT

In <35D3A54A.290C@netcom.ca> Tom Matthews <tmatth@netcom.ca> writes:

>MCAS NV wrote:
>
>> I saw a t.v. segment about this "new" phytic acid based compound which
>> was developed by a researcher at Univ. of Maryland. Showed mice w/
>> giant tumors completely healed after treatment. Anyone ever heard of
>> this?? It's sold under the brand name of "Cell Forte`" (?) by Enzymatic
>> Therapies. The report I saw was very interesting, but I can't find
>> anything else about it.
>

>Inositol hexaphosphate (IP6) is the most abundant inositol phosphate
>found in plants. It is particularly abundant in cereals and legumes.
>However, it is not possible to eat enough of even the most potent plant
>sources to gain the theraputic effect which has been should possible
>from the pure substance.

    But it's worth mentioning that the stuff (phytate/phytic acid) is a
potent chelator of divalent cations, and is thought to be the cause of
hypogonadism and dwarfism (due to zinc deficiency) in some middle
Eastern countries where cereals are staples, and little meat is
available.  People who take IP-6 should be sure to take minerals,
especially Mn2+, Zn2+, and Cu2+, at another time of the day.

   Finally, please note that "IP-6" products are hugely marked up.
Phytic acid is available from chemical companies for about $400 a kilo.
If you're willing to drink a 40% water solution, you can get the
equivalent amount for less than half that price.

                                   Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog