Index Home About Blog
From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.art-bell,alt.politics.immigration,sci.med,misc.survivalism,
	ca.politics
Subject: Re: Illegal Aliens and American Medicine
Date: 15 Mar 2005 19:40:42 -0800

>>Untill the hospital start charging a $20 door fee to illegals just to
get in the door, Hal has every right to bitch. You are a kanook, don't
live in the U.S. and have no say in this matter, so STFU !! <<

COMMENT:

Canadians really don't have a gut feel for this, because they don't
have a huge porous border with a poorer country.

Oddly, Mexico does, and they do something about it. The
Mexican/Guatamalan border has barbed wire and guns and guards like you
wouldn't believe.  You see, amigos, the Mexican government has a gut
feel for the problems of poor imigration when it's THEIR butts on the
economic line. But at the opposite border, they throw up their hands
and say "What can we do?" And when the US threatens to do something,
they accuse us of being *racist.*

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: alt.fan.art-bell,alt.politics.immigration,sci.med,misc.survivalism,
	ca.politics
Date: 15 Mar 2005 20:07:36 -0800

>>No, we should help illegal aliens because  they are human beings.
And they do the jobs that Americans don't want to do. >>

Here in California, US immigrants do the really dirty jobs nobody else
wants to do. Cleaning toilets. Being governor.

SBH

From: "Steve Harris" <sbharris@ix.RETICULATEDOBJECTcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.med
Subject: Re: Issues to do with Duke's screwed-up transplant
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:21:37 -0800

"Orac" <orac@mac.com> wrote in message
> In article <vF96a.2065$vU3.241169@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
>  kurtullman@yahoo.com (Kurt Ullman) wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <55ADBE56CEC01F2F.AADAE884B6BE45A1.393B47D364B989D7@lp.airne ws.net>,
> > "Jeff Utz" <kidsdoc2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >The Mexican society can't afford it. I guess in the future the
> > >alternative is to let them die.
> > >
> >   The Mexicans seem to think so....   I don't see how the US can be made
> > responsible for the world's transplants..
>
> As much as I can sympathize with Jeff's idealism in wishing that
> everyone who needs them could get transplants, this, I think, is the
> crux of the problem. The U.S. can't even provide anywhere near the
> number of organs necessary even for its own citizens. In the absence of
> a world government or organization that distributes organs equitably
> across national borders, the responsibility of a government is to attend
> to its own citizens' needs first.
>
> Given this, I have to ask Jeff: If you had the power, how would YOU
> allocate these scarce organs? (We could discuss how we might increase
> the supply later.) And, if you propose to give organs to any immigrant
> or foreign national who comes to the country seeking medical care, how
> would you propose to prevent such a policy from dramatically
> exacerbating the already serious organ shortage in this country?
>
> These are hard questions. It's very admirable to want to make organs
> available to anyone who needs a transplant, but how specifically do you
> accomplish this?

I don't have all the answers, but some parts of this don't
take a genius to figure out. Mexico wastes a lot of
transplantable organs because it doesn't have the resources
to transplant them there. So Mexico ought to do a deal
whereby they become a net source of organs for US, in
exchange for which we'd do some of the technical and
expensive part for THEM (some of their citizens who
otherwise would die). A win-win situation.

Not that I see it happening any time soon, inasmuch as it
seems that there are many situations in which people will
put up with any amount of pain and suffering and violence
rather than do the obvious thing, which is to sit down and
dicker. So you're dickering for organs?  That just means
you're dickering for allocation of medical resources to save
maximum lives. Happens all the time.

SBH

--
Spammers are not welcome. I welcome email
from all non-advertisers who can fix my email

Index Home About Blog