Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com (Steven B. Harris)
Subject: Re: Chronic Pain Advice
Date: 06 Jul 1996
Newsgroups: alt.support.chronic-pain,alt.med.fibromyalgia,alt.pharm.industry,
	tnn.medical,misc.health.alternative,alt.support.depression

In <4rk6bk$srr@news.wco.com> Della Noche <dnoche@mail.wco.com> writes:

>Ginseng abuse syndrome?   A new one to me - I'll check this out.  The
>taste would prevent me from abusing it but I do feel benefits from teas
>which include it.

The abuse syndrome includes hypertension and acne.  I, too, believe I
detect some "upper" type CNS stimulatory effect from ginseng, not
unlike caffeine, and I use it *occasionally* for that purpose.  You can
get the 10 cc alcohol extractum "Red Panax Ginseng Extract" bottles
imported China (Fusong Pharmaceutical) in the green box, for a pretty
low price, if you know where to look (they are about 20 cents each in
Chinatown in SF; as much as a dollar each is purchased one at a time in
health food stores).  The flavor of the Chinese import extractum grows
on you-- it's a marvelously dark, burnt sort of thing.  Very exotic.

                                      Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog