Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com (Steven B. Harris )
Subject: Re: Help!!!! Bladder infection.......
Date: 23 Sep 1995
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative

In <43ur8h$4k5@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> melacree@ix.netcom.com (Jamell
Acree ) writes:

>In <43uj2o$52m@newsbf02.news.aol.com> mackayr@aol.com (MackayR) writes:
>
>>Cranberry Juice.  Drink lots.  Works most of the time.  If it doesn't
>>clear, be sure to see your doctor.
>>

>>Mackay Rippey, M.Ac., L.Ac.
>
>I bought a bottle of Ocean Spray Cran-apple Juice and found it is
>loaded with sugar!  I don't mind a little sugar, but it is too sweet.
>Do you know of a brand that has no sweetners?

   Ocean Spray makes the juice without sugar, for diabetics and such.
They are the only company that does.  Call the number on the bottle and
ask for mailorder directions.  Warning, one taste will prune your face
permanently.  If you wear long earings, people will mistake you for a
venician blind.

   You can get cranberry juice extract also in capsules.  It is assumed
to have the same good stuff as the juice, but nobody has proved this,
so far as I know.

                                             Steve Harris, M.D.

From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com (Steve Harris  sbharris@ROMAN9.netcom.com)
Newsgroups: sci.med,alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes
Subject: Re: Cinnamon / insulin action / glucose intolerance
Date: 10 Jan 2004 14:39:34 -0800

Comment:

Anthocyanidins are the colors in ripe berries like blueberries and
cranberries. It's already known that they positively influence glucose
tolerance: for example see

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0CUH/9_26/107928450/p1/article.jhtml

Where insulin levels were halved (p < 0.05) by cranberry extract, as
compared with placebo. I'm told that OceanSpray maintains a small
output of (yow-- sour!) sugar-free cranberry juice output for a small
group of puckered up diabetics who drink it and swear by it.

The cinnamon results are all along this line, but if I had diabetes
I'd be eating cranberry extract instead.

SBH

From: David Rind <drind@caregroup.harvard.edu>
Newsgroups: misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.health.alternative,sci.med
Subject: Re: UTIs: SOGC approves cranberry-lingonberry juice
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:59:43 -0400

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
> In message <MPG.1b36401e55e4c3509897b9@news3.news.adelphia.net>, Kim E.
> <aqa12nospam@yahoo.com> writes
>
>> One time I got UTI symptoms on the weekend and couldn't see the Dr til
>> monday - so I drank literally gallons of cranberry juice and water,
>> and by the time of my dr appt i had no UTI.  I asked the Dr if he
>> believed that cranberry juice could cure UTI's and he snickered
>> dismissively and said, "Well, you'd have to drink gallons of it to do
>> anything."
>

> There isn't any real evidence that it can cure UTIs - the evidence is
> that drinking it daily (or, to be more exact, drinking a mixture of
> cranberry and lingonberry juice) can help prevent them.

I think this falls under the absence of evidence isn't evidence
of absence axiom.

I don't know of any clinical trials that have looked at whether
cranberry juice can cure a UTI, since we generally have safe,
rapidly effective treatments for UTI. As such, there isn't much
interest in performing a study like this.

But cranberry juice does seem to affect bacterial adherence, and
is effective in preventing recurrence of UTIs, so it's not hard
to imagine it might cure UTIs some percentage of the the time.

--
David Rind
drind@caregroup.harvard.edu

Index Home About Blog