Index Home About Blog
From: sbharris@ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris)
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative
Subject: Re: Buldging disc in lower back
Date: 10 Aug 1998 00:17:35 GMT

In <6qktq2$6n1$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com> bowler41@my-dejanews.com writes:

>I was involved in an MVA in 3/98 in which I have now been diagnosed in
>having a buldging disc (s1 nerve impingment - l5 disc)- I am currently
>wearing a back brace and will be following up with the Dr. this next week
>- does anyone have any information regarding alternatives to surgery for
>this condition? Thanks.

   A bulging disc is not an indication for surgery.  The only
indication for surgery is if you have a totally numb and useless limb
AND the doctor could tell where the disc was impinging on the root and
thought surgery necessary even before the scan.

   The dang scans find bulging discs in lots of people, even people
with no symptoms.  They're a part of life, and usually don't cause much
trouble.  Stay away from surgeons unless you have NO choice, and have
gone months with conservative care (which is basically light back
exercise).

                                      Steve Harris, M.D.

Index Home About Blog