Index Home About Blog
From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative, sci.med.nutrition, sci.med,
	 rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: how come you can't consume bread, mushrooms, vinegar, beer, etc.
	if you have yeast infection?
Date: 8 Jan 2005 21:29:31 -0800

Well, this hardly increases my confidence in ND's. Though of course I
know that the quality of them varies. There are a few good 4 year
schools, and then there are quacks with mailorder degrees.

The pH of the human body (the blood) is very tightly regulated. It's
extremely rare to run a chronic acidosis, and if you do, the cause is
always findable. You're retaining CO2 due to lung disease or you're in
renal failure, or spilling bicarbonate in your urine from renal
disease, or something pretty obvious on a good workup.

Furthermore, it's ridiculous to test for the pH of the body tissues
(blood) by looking at saliva. They have nothing to do with each other.
The same is true of the urine-- normally it's acidic, but you can't
tell anything about the pH of the body by HOW acidic it is.

I suggest you see an MD and have a real blood pH and chem panel done by
a real lab.

SBH

From: Steve Harris <sbharris@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative, sci.med.nutrition, sci.med,
	 rec.food.cooking
	if you have yeast infection?
Date: 10 Jan 2005 14:37:04 -0800

I think they would have to call the ND to know how to do the blood pH
tests for sure. The MDs can't figure it out.

COMMENT:

Says who? I am a physician, so why should I listen to you about what
physicians say? FYI blood changes its pH when exposed to air and it
also changes slowly over time even when not exposed to air (you have
about an hour with samples kept on ice). As blood cells metabolize,
they make lactic acid and pH drops. To get a decent reading, blood
needs to be collected properly, then run through a blood gas analyzer.
This is true even of venous blood (which will have a slightly higher pH
than arterial blood for obvious reasons).

I actually have a working blood gas analyzer in my lab. I will bet you
money your average ND does not.  I have no idea what the average ND
has, but I will bet money it's "cargo cult science."  Unless they send
it out on ice to a hospital, stat, it's crap.

SBH

Index Home About Blog