Index Home About Blog
A Guide to Effective Scientific Communication

Phrase                               Translation
It has long been known               I haven't bothered to look up
                                            the reference

It is believed                       I think

It is generally believed             A couple of guys think so too

It is not unreasonable to            If you believe this, you'll
       assume                               believe anything

Of great theoretical importance      I find it kind of interesting

Of great practical importance        I can get some mileage out of it

Typical results are shown            The best results are shown

3 samples were chosen for further    The others didn't make sense, so
       study                                we ignored them

The 4 hour determination may not     I dropped it on the floor, but
       be significant                       scooped most of it up

The significance of these results    Look at the pretty artifact
       is unclear

It has not been possible to          The experiment was negative, but at
provide definitive answers                   least I can publish the data
                                             somewhere

Correct within an order of            Wrong
       magnitude

It might be argued that               I have such a good answer for this
                                             objection that I shall now
                                             raise it

Much additional work will be          This paper is not very good, but neither
required			      is that of anyone else

These investigations proved           My grant is going to be renewed
       highly rewarding

It is clear that much additional      I didn't understand it.
work will be required before a
complete understanding

It is to be hoped that this work      This paper is not very good, but
will stimulate further work in	      neither are any of the others on
this field			      this miserable subject.

It is intuitively obvious to the      Don't ask me to explain it because
most casual observer that	      I don't understand it either.

Index Home About Blog