Index Home About Blog
From: Gale McMillan <gale@mcmfamily.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Subject: Re: Sabots in .50BMG?
Date: 4 Oct 1997 08:05:07 -0400

Rich Zuchowski wrote:
#
# Has anyone had any experience shooting sabbotted bullets in the .50BMG?
# I've had people recommend that the muzzle brake be removed, as they
# thought the sabot might impact it and perhaps tear it off of the barrel
# or otherwise damage it.  I'm not sure I'd want to shoot a .50 without
# the muzzle brake, so I'm checking around for opinions.  It will be a
# while before I get all my reloading stuff accumulated, so there's no
# hurry on this.
#
# Any accounts of first hand experience would be appreciated.
#
# Rich
# rzuch@ix.netcom.com

Don't do it! The Navy shot some through one and it blew the brake off.
Not only did it do that but the particles that left the brake were like
bullets and had they hit anyone they would have caused serious injury,
And don't shoot it without the brake as you have never felt any thing
like it!  It can easily detach a retina.

From: Gale McMillan <gale@mcmfamily.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Date: 7 Oct 1997 20:21:04 -0400

Eric Pinnell wrote:
#
# Gale McMillan wrote:
#
# # Don't do it! The Navy shot some through one and it blew the brake off.
# # Not only did it do that but the particles that left the brake were like
# # bullets and had they hit anyone they would have caused serious injury,
# # And don't shoot it without the brake as you have never felt any thing
# # like it!  It can easily detach a retina.
#
#   Gale,
#
#    Two questions:  First, which gun did they fire the rounds from?  Second,
# whose ammo
# did they use?  Third, where is the source for your information?
#
# Eric Pinnell

The rifle was the Haskins 50, The Place was the Crane Naval Weapons
Center Crane Ind.The engineer was Chuck Zeller and the brake was one of
the machined two partition space capsule looking ones they had replaced
the Hashins ones with.  And the Ammo was the Slap round.

From: Gale McMillan <gale@mcmfamily.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Date: 11 Oct 1997 10:46:36 -0400

Eric Pinnell wrote:
#
# Gale McMillan wrote:
#
# # The rifle was the Haskins 50, The Place was the Crane Naval Weapons
# # Center Crane Ind.The engineer was Chuck Zeller and the brake was one of
# # the machined two partition space capsule looking ones they had replaced
# # the Hashins ones with.  And the Ammo was the Slap round.
#
#      How did you find out about this? And do you know if the Navy or anyone else
# tried a SLAP round in other .50 rifles?  I do know that Charter Arms of Singapore
# says
# their round is only suitable for their .50 machinegun, but this may not be
# strictly true.
#
# Eric Pinnell

Eric: I was under contract to the Navy at the time to develop a low
recoil muzzle brake and was working with the engineer I spoke of. in
commenting to Rock about your post he said that he was going to write a
post regarding an incident that one of our customers had that I was
unaware of.  Eric Williams , several time national champion shot some of
the sabots that are injection molded that you put the 30 cal bullet in.
He was using one of our competition brakes.  It pushed all the baffles
down in the end of the brake .  Totally destroyed the brake.  And that
was a small, lite wt sabot.  I don't know why any one would want to
shoot them unless he wanted to defeat armor as they don't have any
accuracy. I have shot a lot of 30 slap in our sniper rifle and the hit
ratio at 300 meters is less than 50% If you haven't already, check out
our web page  www.mcmfamily.com
Gale

From: Gale McMillan <gale@mcmfamily.com>
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Date: 12 Oct 1997 10:12:39 -0400

Please see sig for details wrote:
#
# On 11 Oct 1997 10:46:36 -0400, Gale McMillan <gale@mcmfamily.com> wrote:
#
[...]
# Can you speculate on why the sabot rounds work in the 120mm gun mounted on the
# M1 Abrams battle tank.  All of the pictures I have seen of these show a very
# serious brake on the muzzle.   These rounds are different as this gun is a
# smothbore and the projectile is fin stabilized.
#
# Dan
# ywq@wco.com  <-- Be paitent.  This address is subject to spam, it may take a while to find your email.
# I love the smell of Hoppes #9 in the morning.

I don't have the slightest idea how it works on the 120MM . The brake
that Rock made was a scaled down 25MM brake.I do know that the slap
round sabots are made to fracture in the barrel and the projectile rides
on the small pieces until it exits the bore and it is the small pieces
that do the damage. I might speculate that the 25MM sabots do not leave
the projectile until after it clears the brake If they  use sabots on
the 25MM. I know that they don't have a visible MB on the MI

Index Home About Blog