Index Home About Blog
From: Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Harris)
Subject: Re: Barsto Barrels
Date: 7 Jan 91 21:23:40 GMT

I have found in the Bar-Sto barrels you get what you pay for.  If you
are a bullseye competitor and shoot NRA-style matches they are
definitely worth it.  If you shoot IPSC and gilt edged accuracy isn't
as much of a requirement, the Colt barrel may do.  I like the option in
the Bar-Sto of having a solid GI-type NM bushing instead of the Colt
collet type.  I have had several collet bushings break on me iver the
years, and on a duty gun I would no want a repeat performance.  In a
hot caliber suych as the 9 mm or .38 Super I would also go for the
Bar-Sto, because the locking portion of the barrel is made from a
separate piece of steel turned 90 degrees to the bore axis so the
locking lugs don't bear transversely across the grain boundaries of the
steel - a much stronger construction.  This is done by making the tube
a separate piece from the locking monobloc and silver brazing them in a
vacuum retort, the same way it is done at the FN factory.  When Bar-Sto
fits you a match barrel, no hand fitting is done, but your slide and
frame are measured on a coordinate measuring machine and the CNC
program is altered to provide you with the optimum fit.  This is
superior to hand fitting in most instances and the pistol will be more
reliable.   Barrels which are oversized everywhere for hand fitting are
also available, but their match-grade barrel is the better buy.  I have
owned five of the things, and would have no hesitation buying another.

--

        Ed Harris, Ed.Harris@p0.f417.n109.z1.fidonet.org
      via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

Index Home About Blog