Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: misc.rural
Subject: Re: Snake Gun
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:13:41 -0500

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 20:51:22 +1000, Brock Ulfsen <elfwhere@tpg.com.au>
wrote:

>> My "go to" gun is a .410 Mossberg 500. I prefer the pump as it holds
>> five shells.
>
>Pumps are restricted in Oz.

Is he in Oz?  He didn't bother to say, though the species of snake
indicates he isn't in the US.

>Anyone who needs 5 shots to get a snake should stick to garden
>impliments. Or live in a block of flats.

Yup.

>.410 is probably the size for a snake gun. (Someone suggested 8ball, not
>sure I'd agree. Lots of shot gives you more chance of decapitation,
>which is definitely what you want.)

I like the .410 also.  Particularly since it can be chambered in many
..45 long colt guns.  My favorite snake gun is a Thompson/Contender
short barrel (6") smooth bore ".45 long colt".  That barrel will
accept a .410 shell.  There is no choke so the shot package will
spread rapidly.  This setup allows one to have a shot-pistol, about
the only way I know of to do that, at least in the US.

I also agree on the shot selection.  It takes practical nothing to
kill a snake so I prefer LOTS of fine shot, no larger than #8.

Index Home About Blog