Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Ten minute tech.
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 01:01:52 -0400

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 16:33:19 -0700 (PDT), "\"OM\"" <dittybopk@aol.com> wrote:

>Now, can anyone tell me how to boil eggs so that the shells come off
>easily. I've heard that vinegar in the boiling water will help. I
>can't seem to do it so that the shells come off without some sticking
>to the egg. It's difficult making deviled eggs when the shells stick
>to the eggs.

Yep.  let 'em sit in the 'fridge for 3 weeks or more.  No, they don't spoil
but they sure do peel a lot better.  This is semi-common knowledge among cooks
and country folks.

Eggs will keep indefinitely in the fridge.  I dug some out of the back of the
fridge that had to have been there 6 months.  I cracked one open and the only
thing wrong was that it was partially dehydrated, the void being over half the
internal volume.  They still worked fine for cooking - just add a little more
water or milk to the recipe.

That's what the water glass treatment prevents.  It seals the pores so that
the moisture can't evaporate.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 01:06:36 -0400

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 17:23:07 -0700 (PDT), "\"OM\"" <dittybopk@aol.com> wrote:

>Thanks, I've heard of the vinegar and Hunter also suggested ice water
>after boiling. I'll try it and will watch the clock for the 13
>minutes. 13 minutes ? hey, if it works .....

I don't know about vinegar but letting them age certainly does work.

If you want to get your eggs exactly right every time, even when traveling and
at altitude, get an Egg-sact.

http://www.neon-john.com/Misc/Misc_home.html

John

From: taquilla@erols.com (Tracy Aquilla)
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture
Subject: Re: Why organic farming....
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 99 17:01:02 GMT

In Article <wCjPAtAvC8l2EwPC@tomgrower.demon.co.uk>, Robert
<robert@tomgrower.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <36973446.6A5781AD@infinet.com>, Lucy Goodman-Owsley
><goodows@infinet.com> writes
>>
>>My organic free ranged hens have bright yellow yolks (not pale yellow) and
>>stand about 2cm higher than a factory farmed egg. They do have more taste
>>and cook quite differently than store bought eggs. I believe this is
>>because my hens get sunlight and my eggs are fresh (the FDA allows eggs to
>>be held upto 60 days before getting to point of sale) not just because they
>>are organic. Most of my customers say my eggs (or rather my hens') are
>>better than any they have had in years (or ever as is the case with younger
>>customers).
>>
>Part of the confusion here is that "free range" and "organic" do not
>automatically go together.

True indeed. In fact, wasn't it Lucy who made that comment at the very
begining of the thread (re Odwalla juice)?

The best tasting eggs I have ever eaten were from some Barred Plymouth Rocks
I kept in California years ago. They had the free range of a large garden
and our compost heaps, and were free fed standard layer mash (not organic),
scratch, and lots of table scraps. All of my friends and neighbors commented
that they were the best tasting eggs they had ever had (no blind tests
though), and I agreed (mind you, this was a community where almost everyone
kept chickens). To this day, people still ask me how we did it, because they
have tried everything and their eggs do not taste as good. I don't know why,
but I have never had eggs like that since. I sure do miss those birds.
Tracy

Index Home About Blog