Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: misc.rural
Subject: Re: Need Cleaning Advice
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:47:00 -0500

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:23:34 -0500, Rocky
<nydhoggatcomcastnet@host.invalid> wrote:

>I need to clean up an area around a range that hasn't been cleaned in
>years.  There's a nasty buildup of grease and dust and the grease is
>partially oxidized to boot.
>
>Is there anything that will really cut this grease?  Industrial
>strength?  It's OK if it takes the paint off - I need to repaint, too.

lye

methylene chloride-based paint remover.

Lye is primarily used hot, as in boiling out fryers.  After I boil out
the fryers in my restaurant, I take the hot solution and scrub the
epoxy coated floors, the outside of the fryers, grills and so on.
Suitable protective clothing is obviously necessary.  The use of a
stainless steel scrubbie with the lye greatly speeds the action.

MeCL paint remover is sold by restaurant supply companies for the
purpose you're asking about.  It's MUCH cheaper to buy it at the
hardware store.  Get the jelly type that will adhere to vertical
surfaces.

The thing I don't like about this stuff is that when it contacts the
skin, it burns and the burn is more painful than the burn that lye
causes.  The problem is that there aren't many materials suitable for
gloves that will stand up to the stuff for long.  Neoprene seems to
last the longest.

I used to trade in used restaurant equipment.  I've tried pretty much
everything anyone has ever recommended including steam cleaning and
have only found the above to be effective.  The gelled stuff is
polymerized oil.  Ordinary solvents have little effect.