Index Home About Blog
From: sfaber@cbnewse.cb.att.com (steven.r.faber)
Newsgroups: rec.pyrotechnics
Subject: Re: Vacuum deposition of aluminium
Date: 25 Mar 92 14:23:51 GMT

From article <1992Mar24.140307.22983@demon.co.uk>, by dingbat@cix.compulink.co.uk (Codesmiths):

>> I'm trying to vacuum deposit aluminium on microscope cover slips
>
> The process you're after is called vacuum sputtering. What you have
> here sounds more like vacuum spluttering !
>
> All of the following is from memory, as it's several years since I
> did this stuff. If you have a university library nearby, then you
> could check the vacuum / optical manufacture section in there, it's a
> standard process.
>
> You need a much lower pressure. The mechanism should involve atoms of
> aluminium being transferred indivually. The low pressure is needed so
> that the mean free path (without colliding with an air molecule) is
> at least as large as the separation between source & target - it's
> not just about avoiding oxidation. With small samples, life is much
> easier as the vacuum needed (thus the mean free path length) is
> related to the size of the workpiece. Large sputter chambers need
> oil diffussion pumps or similar, but a mechanical roughing pump will
> do for small chambers. (The usual suggestions involving surplus
> pumps, or fridge compressors.)

Yes, pressures around 10^-3 torr (mm Hg) come to mind.

Sputtering involves passing a electrical discharge through usually
Argon gas, which is accelerated with a high voltage potential to
the target material, usually a fairly refractory metal.
The positive Argon ions then knock off the target metal and cause
it to be deposited in a thin layer on the thing you want coated.

Al melts at a fairly low temp. so you don't need to sputter it,
just put some in a tungsten boat-filament heated with a high current
source in the vacuum chamber and it evaporates nicely and coats your
mirror.  You still need the fancy equipment to do it that way.

Steve

Index Home About Blog