Index Home About Blog
From: REMOVE_THISdwilkins@means.net (Don Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Separating O and H
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 12:22:23 GMT

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:00:27 +1000, "Georgina Bourke"
<waymorina@bigpond.com> wrote:

>Put water in a beaker, insert two electrodes, connect to a DC power supply,
>I forget which but O will bubble up one electrode and H the other one, if I
>remember correctly 2 parts H to 1 part O hence H2O

You get hydrogen at the cathode. The maximum bang is when you have the
stoichiometric mixture so just collect the gases from both electrodes.

A 6 inch diameter balloon filled with the 2:1 mixture will rattle your
ear drums pretty good. Standard lab demonstration is to fill several
balloons. One with pure hydrogen, second with air hydrogen mixture and
the last with 2:1 mix.

The last one gets their attention when you fire it. A match on a long
stick and ear protection is appropriate.

Index Home About Blog