Index Home About Blog
From: B.Hamilton@irl.cri.nz (Bruce Hamilton)
Newsgroups: sci.chem
Subject: Re: Global Warming, Ozone Depletion, who's right?
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 18:25:52 GMT

rparson@spot.Colorado.EDU (Robert Parson) wrote:

>In article <34021436.1673@awwwsome.com>,
>David B. Green <barclay@awwwsome.com> wrote:
>>The report summary  mentioned that herbaceous gas emmissions of isoprene
>>is not elevated, and says isoprene is an important precursor compound
>>for tropospheric ozone formation.  Where would one find info on the
>>isoprene to ozone route?
>
> Now you're getting into things I don't know much about. I'd start
> by trying to get hold of the following tome:
>
> AUTHOR       Finlayson-Pitts, Barbara J., 1948-
> TITLE        Atmospheric chemistry : fundamentals and experimental
>              techniques / Barbara J. Finlayson-Pitts, James N. Pitts,Jr.
> PUBLISHER    New York : Wiley, c1986.
> DESCRIPT.    xxviii, 1098 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
>
> It's pricey, so you'll probably want to use Interlibrary Loan or
> some such; you may also want to hire a forklift when you want to
> carry it from room to room. :-) It's pretty comprehensive, as I
> recall, though dated.

For an introduction, and to avoid the need for hernia insurance, try;-

" Volatile Organic Compounds: Ozone Formation, Alternative Fuels and
  Toxics "
  B.J. Finlayson-Pitts & J.N.Pitts Jr.
  Chemistry & Industry  p.796-800 18 October 1993
  - it gives a good introduction to the chemistry, and has 49 references.
  - if not available, email them ( part 2 of Sci.chem FAQ has their WWW
    address ), and they may make it available on their WWW site.

" Atmospheric Chemistry of Tropospheric Ozone Formation: Scientific
  and Regulatory Implications "
  B.J. Finlayson-Pitts & J.N.Pitts Jr.
  Air & Waste v.43 p.1091-1100 ( August 1993 )
  - it covers much the same chemistry as above, but a little deeper, and
    also has a section on the role of biogenic organics, and 41 refs.

" Development of Ozone Reactivity Scales for Volatile Organic Compounds "
  W.P.L.Carter
  Air & Waste v.44 p.881-899 ( July 1994 )
  - gives data for the various common chemical species, both from natural
    ( isoprene, alpha and beta pinenes, etc ) and man-made ( MTBE, ETBE )
    sources, along with 44 references for the curious.

    Bruce Hamilton

Index Home About Blog