Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: fa.linux.kernel
From: Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Bitkeeper outrage, old and new
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:43:26 GMT

On 20 Oct 2002, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Using the Linux kernel as a tool to advocate only GPL'd software seems
> inappropriate as those are not the aims of the kernel maintainers.  If
> RMS wants that he is free to fork the kernel, or write a kernel that
> with a license that prohibits people from using software you don't
> like.

Having seen the software written by RMS, I'd say that you've missed one
crucial detail: s/write/write (and find suckers who would use)/.

RMS opinion might weight a lot more if he (and FSF programmers in general)
were capable of writing programs without terminal bloat and without huge
amount of security holes.  As it is, I'm willing to give them exactly the
same respect I give to other people writing code of such quality - Microsoft
employees.  Gates is kooky in one way, Stallman - in another, but both
can't write decent software, both are utterly devoid of taste and both profess
"features over fixing bugs" beliefs.

Index Home About Blog