Index Home About Blog
From: torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linus Torvalds on micro-kernals
Date: 22 Feb 1999 18:39:21 GMT

In article <7aresh$mh4$1@news.tuwien.ac.at>,  <tharsos@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Funny how people tend to quote Linus Torvalds on technical issues in order
>to prove a point. I hear the guy barely made it through college.

Actually, I lied about even that.  I was thrown out of fourth grade
because I couldn't write my own name, and it's been all downhill from
there.

I had to lie about getting into college just so that I'd have better
chances of making a career here at McDonalds - if you have a college
degree (or you lied about having one), they don't make you scrape the
burger pans.

>								 Linus
>might be a fine role model for the Linux clerasil crowd, but there are
>_much_ smarter people than him working in the CS field.

I resent your remark about the clerasil crowd.  The people I know
wouldn't get a date even if they didn't have bad skin, so they don't
bother with that fancy expensive skin treatment stuff anyway.  So we
call ourself the "brown paper bag" crowd - those clerasil guys are
snobs.

>							 Avie Tevanian,
>Senior Vice President of Software Engineering at Apple and inventor of the
>Mach microkernel, is one of them.

Ehh.

Have you actually _met_ him? I have.

He may be smart, and he freely admits that I'm not the only one slamming
Mach as an OS. Think about it.

			Linus

From: torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 1 Mar 1999 18:31:41 GMT

In article <slrn7djh5k.50.mawa@dascomputi.UUCP>,
Matthias Warkus <mawa@iname.com> wrote:

>Hm. So one can make Linus go non-linear, too. Pretty fun.

It's actually not all that hard.  If I didn't have strong opinions, I
wouldn't be in this business.  I'd be just another random user using DOS
and windows, I'm afraid.

And also, in my opinion, it is just worthless trying to write a nice and
polite article to an advocacy newsgroup.  The whole _point_ of advocacy
newsgroups is to have heated discussion.  It should be coherent and
reasonably thought out, but does it need to be polite? No.

		Linus

Index Home About Blog