Index Home About Blog
From: glhurst@onr.com (Gerald L. Hurst)
Newsgroups: sci.chem
Subject: Re: Volcano
Date: 17 Feb 1996 21:52:59 GMT

In article <4g5ajg$ahn@uucp.intac.com>, mdunkel@intac.com says:

>Does anyone know how to prepare a "volcano"? I remember seeing it done
>some years ago and remember that it used household chemicals and was
>safe. My grandson, a budding chemist of six, expressed interes and I
>would  like to run it for him.

Sure.
Mix iron filings with sulfur powder and add a little water to
form a thick mud. The reaction Fe + S -> FeS will begin shortly,
generating enough heat to cause gentle steam formation with
a very satisfying "Galooop" sound of cooking oatmeal. If
you cover a cup or so of the mixture with some earth you will
get a fine "volcano" effect.

Based on the equation above you need about a 56:32 ratio of iron
to sulfur by weight. The water serves as a catalyst and of course
as the converter of heat to mechanical energy and source of steam.

Jerry (Ico)

From: Alan \"Uncle Al\" Schwartz <uncleal0@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: sci.chem
Date: 18 Feb 1996 17:00:12 GMT

mdunkel@intac.com wrote:
>Does anyone know how to prepare a "volcano"? I remember seeing it done
>some years ago and remember that it used household chemicals and was
>safe. My grandson, a budding chemist of six, expressed interes and I
>would  like to run it for him.

The wimp version is to make the "volcano" and load it with a cup of
sodium bicarbonate mixed with maybe 10% common garden dirt (or a little
dry sodium fluorescein - anything to give it color).  Vinegar (maybe with
a little dish washing detergent) is then added (nice approach is to have
the plumbing hidden inside the volcano.)  When the vinegar hits the
bicarb you get a whole lot of foam and fizzling, and the goop rises up
and flows down the volcano.  It is a wonderful mess.  Repeat performances
require a bit of forethought re cleanup.  Try it out in the garage before
you risk disfavor of an audience.

The classic volcano is a plaster of Paris hollow mountain filled with a
cup or two of powdered ammonium dichromate, and set off with a length of
magnesium ribbon.  You get the brilliant burning magnesium followed by a
vigorous exotherm and messy clouds of chromium oxide flying everywhere.
The EPA will probably have a fit.  Not to worry.  State-mandated Haz-Met
cleanups rarely poke over the $100K mark (they only take certified
checks).

--
Alan "Uncle Al" Schwartz
UncleAl0@ix.netcom.com  ("zero" before "@")