Index Home About Blog
From: tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen)
Newsgroups: rec.autos
Subject: Re: Parsing VINs
Date: 5 Mar 90 03:40:05 GMT

Cal Jewell <jewell@Data-IO.COM> writes:
> "So what?" you might ask. Well, I have been trying to find out how to
> parse a car's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). From talking to
> various people, I have found out that, among other itmes, the
> following information is included in the VIN:

This might be in the rec.autos archive, too, but if it isn't here's the
scoop: the VINs are standardized (SAE J272, J218, J1044 and J1229).
manufacturers adhere to it).  This is the way it breaks down (note that
most examples are for GM cars):

(standardized items marked with *)

Section 1: WMI (World Manufacturer Identification)

	Digit	Description			Examples

	1 *	Country of origin		1 = US
						2 = Canada
						3 = Mexico
						W = West Germany
						J = Japan
						K = Korea
	2-3 *	Manufacturer code		G1 = Chevrolet
						G2 = Pontiac
						G3 = Oldsmobile
						G4 = Buick
						G5 = Cadillac
						GC = Chevrolet truck
						GT = GMC truck
						VW = Volkswagen
						HM = Honda

Section 2: VDS (Vehicle Description Section) - passenger cars

	Digit	Description			Examples

	4	Carline code			J = Cavalier/Sunbird
						F = Camaro/Firebird
	5	Series code			B = Sunbird
						D = Sunbird SE
						U = Sunbird GT
	6 *?	Body style code			1 = 2-dr coupe
						2 = 2-dr hatchback
						3 = 2-dr convertible
						5 = 4-dr sedan
						6 = 4-dr hatchback
						8 = 4-dr wagon
	7 *	Restraint system		1 = manual belts
						2 = manual belts with safety
						3 = manual belts + air bag
						4 = automatic belts
	8	Engine code			5 = 1.3L L3 2-barrel
						8 = 5.7L V8 TPI
	9 *	Check digit

Section 3: VIS (Vehicle Indicator Section)

	Digit	Description			Examples

	10 *	Model year			J = 1988
						K = 1989
						L = 1990
						M = 1991
	11 *	Assembly plant			H = Flint
						9 = Oshawa
	12-17 *	Sequential serial number

Basically, section 1 is assigned by SAE, so it's standardized, as is
section 3.  Section 2, however, is manufacturer-dependent, although
all manufacturers are encouraged to indicate the carline, series and
body type in that section.  The layout shown for section 2 is valid
for GM vehicles.  Trucks have a different layout all their own.

I'd be interested in finding more manufacturer and country codes ... let
me know if you have some!  :)  They're also published by SAE on a
semi-annual basis, but I have no list...

[ \tom haapanen -- university of waterloo -- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu    ]
[ "i say what i say, but i say it for myself and myself only" -- me        ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"                -- al capone ]

From: msir_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota)
Newsgroups: rec.autos
Date: 5 Mar 90 06:36:50 GMT

In article <1418@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM> jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) writes:
> I have been trying to find out how to parse a car's VIN (Vehicle
> Identification Number).  From talking to various people, I have found out
> that, among other itmes, the following information is included in the VIN:
>        color
>        doors
>        make, model
>        engine size
>        manufacturer
>        where it was made (the plant name)
>        some options
>        etc...
>
> Well, does any body know how to parse a VIN? I'm looking for substantive
> answers here, not "I think it is like this" or "I think the Nth character
> is for whatever".

Okay, here's the info out of my '87 VW GTI/Golf/Jetta service manual.  It
says:

Since 1981:	1VW F B 0 17 5 B V 123456	[spacing mine]
		a   b c d e  f g h i		[key for table below]

KEY DIGITS	DESCRIPTION		CODE
--- ------	-----------------------	-------------------------------------
a   1-3		Manufacturer's ID	1VW: Pass. Car U.S.
					WVW: Pass. Car European Production

b   4		Line and Body Type	B: Golf 2 Door
		(varies by body style	C: Golf GT, Jetta - 2 Door
		 and models)		D: GTI - 2 Door
					F: 4 Door (Golf, USA Jetta)
					G: Golf GT 4-Door, Jetta 4 Door

c   5		Engine			[No description given]

d   6		Passenger Restraint	0: Active Restraint System
		System			1: Passive Restraint System

e   7-8		Model			16: Jetta
					17: Golf

f   9		Check Digit (no		0 through 9, or X for 10
		 significance for mechanic)

g   10		Model Year		F: 1985
					G: 1986
					H: 1987

h   11		Manufacturing Plant	E: Emdem
					H: Hannover
					K: Osnabrueck
					V: Westmoreland
					W: Wolfsburg

i   12-17	Sequential Production	000 001 through 999 999
		Number [serial number]
--
Mark Sirota - University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
 Internet: msir_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

From: stanh@meyerhof.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Hanks)
Newsgroups: rec.autos
Date: 5 Mar 90 18:37:21 GMT

Decoding VIN numbers? Well, for the Porsche 911 family it goes like this:
(courtesy "The 911 Performance Handbook" by Bruce Anderson. And yes, this is
now a page in the "Ready Reference" section of my Franklin planner...)

                          1 1 1 1 1111
             123 456 78 9 0 1 2 3 4567

             WPO AA0 91 0 B S 1 2 0001
             /   ^^^ ^  ^ ^ ^ ^ ^  ^
            /    ||| |  | | | | |  four digit serial number
  Porsche  /     ||| |  | | | | |
  world   /      ||| |  | | | | |
  producer      / || |  | | | | Body + engine code:
  code         /  || |  | | | |  0 - RoW (Rest of World) SC/Carrera
              /  / | |  | | | |  1 - RoW Turbo Targa
   VDS:      /  /  | |  | | | |  2 - US SC/Carrera
 1: body    /  /   | |  | | | |  4 - RoW Targa
   A=coupe    /    | |  | | | |  5 - Turbo Coupe US or RoW Cabrio
   E=targa   /    /  |  | | | |  6 - US Targa
  or cabrio /    /   |  | | | |  7 - US Cabrio
   J=turbo /    /    |  | | | |
 2: dest. /    /     |  | | |  3rd digit of type (e.g. 1, 0, 9)
   A=Canada   /      |  | | |
   B=USA     /       |  | | Manufacture location  (S=Stutgart)
 3: restraint        |  | |
    system           |  | Model year (B=81, C=82, etc.)
   0=passive         |  |
   1=active          |  Test Digit (value varies, don't know how)
 If all digits are   |
 ZZZ, car is RoW     1st & 2nd digits of type (e.g. 91, 93, 95)

Of course, for pre-81 models, it turns into a 10-digit Porsche "part number"
instead of a VIN number. Decoding those gets to be real entertaining.....

Stanley P. Hanks                                      e-mail: stanh@bcm.tmc.edu
Director, Technology Planning and Development             voice: (713) 798-4649
Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston TX 77030, Mail Stop: IR-3

Index Home About Blog