Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Weighing RV's
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:15:57 -0400

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:55:24 -0000, Dale Borjesson
<dalebor1234@netscape.net> wrote:

>I don't presently own and RV but am looking into it. One question that
>occurs to me is how you weigh an RV. Four questions.
>
>1) The answer is "go to a truck stop scale." I know that but the question
>is what do you do when you get there? Just drive onto the scale or go
>inside and talk to someone (who?).

Just drive on and hit the intercom button.  Tell them that you're an
RV.  They'll tell you when the weighing is done and where to come to
get the ticket.

>2) I've noticed that different truck stop scales have different numbers of
>measurement plates. Some have one huge plate, most have two or three. I
>saw one with five. I assume the different number of plates to allow you
>weigh the trailer separate from the tractor or even individual axles. for
>an RV does the scale matter?

Truckers (and you) are interested in axle loading.  Truck axle weight
is regulated.  You care because of tire loading.  When I weighed my
MH, I positioned it so that the front axle was on one plate and the
rear on another.  For a trailer or 5th, I'd want the trailer on one
plate, the rear tow axle on another and the front tow on yet another
if possible.

>3) How likely is it that the two (or three) axles on a trailer will have
>significantly different weights? If they are always close (like within
>10%?) then weiging each separately is not all that useful but if they can
>weigh different amounts by a lot then it would be useful to measure them
>separately.

Very unlikely.  If you look at multi-axle setups, you'll see that the
springs are hung such that the load redistributes itself under normal
conditions.

>4) All the scales seem to measure both tires of an axle at the same time.
>Is it likely that there is a significant difference side to side? I know
>that part of the answer is how you load the trailer but do the
>manufacturers do a good job of balancing the trailer including the loads
>of the various tanks? What is a reasonable side to side variance in same
>axle load?

Right, if you load the trailer wrong then the weight will be
imbalanced side to side.  Unless the problem is gross (trailer tilting
to one side) it isn't a problem per se.  Overloading the tires on the
heavy side is the main concern.

John

>Cheers

Index Home About Blog