Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Service Winnebago Adventurer
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 00:34:48 -0400

aubs wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need advice regarding my MH.  It is a 1999 model, 35ft and has now done
> 29000 miles.with Ford V10 engine etc.
>
> Do I need to have the following done?
>
> a)  Change transmission oil?  The repair shop wants to use the TR machine.
> Does this do a good job, replacing  all the fluid?

Good idea.  Look in your manual as to the recommended frequency.
The fluid changing machines do a fine job, better than you can do by
yourself, because they flush the torque converter too.  That is, if
the operator knows how to run it and isn't cheap with the flush
fluid.

> b)  Must the wheel bearings be repacked?

Follow your manual's recommendations.  I've developed a philosophy
that as long as the grease looks clean and dry upon inspection, to
leave things alone on the theory that upsetting wear patterns and
the possibility (probably?) of introducing dirt into the bearings
outweighs whatever benefits accrue from frequent repacking.  This
has worked fine for decades on a wide variety of vehicles.  Still,
I'd consult my manual if it were mine, just in case there's some
special condition involved.

> c)  Do the spark plugs need to be replaced?  Engine does not misfire and I
> have always been able to get between 7 and 8.5 MPG.  I tow a 2500lb car.

Plugs are probably lifetime/100kmile rated and do not normally need
changing.  Thank electronic engine management and clean, lead-free
fuel for this.  It really works that way.  My wife's Camry had 150k
miles on it when she wrecked it - all on the original plugs.  Toyota
recommended changing at 60k miles but I decided to wait  until
either the mileage dropped or the ECU dropped a code.  Neither had
happened. Amazing, eh? Anyway, again, check your owner's manual for
recommended change intervals.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Wheel bearings
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:59:51 -0500

On 15 Jan 2004 16:20:29 GMT, boelkowj@aol.com (Boelkowj) wrote:

>Bill: Since I live in a warm climate in Southern California I am not going to
>repack my bearing this year as I have only traveled 1000 miles and supect that
>the bearings are just fine for another year. I am sure new trailers that are
>sold after sitting for 12 months don't need the wheel bearings packed in this
>part of the country. Am I wrong?
>
>Larry

Well, I must be the odd man out but I don't pack my wheel bearings ever.
Until I replace the bearings, that is.  Apparently this works, as one trailer
is almost 30 years old and another is 10.

I believe that the probability of doing more harm than good taking the wheel
set down so often.  Wear patterns are disturbed.  There is a probability of
introducing dirt into the bearing cavity.  Of mis-seating or damaging the
seal.  Of mis-torquing the axle nut.

I base most of my decision on my racing experience.  In the beginning I
followed conventional wisdom and pulled the bike or car down after every race
for inspection and wear parts replacements.  I had the same rate of niggling
failures that everyone else did.  I analyzed my logs and saw that most
failures occurred to things that had just been messed with.  I stopped messing
with things and my failure rate (and DNF rate) went WAY down.

John

From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Preemitive strike on MH?
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:30:54 -0400

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:11:27 -0400, "Cliff" <cliffclingan@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Frank" <fphowell@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> How many of you replace engine parts before the become defective?

Depends on your definition of "defective".  I routinely listen to the
belt-driven accessories with a mechanic's stethoscope.  If I hear
rumbling bearings, squealing seals, dragging brushes, etc, I replace
the accessory at once.  In my mind the device is defective even though
it is still working normally.  Some folks consider something defective
when it quits working.

>      My motto is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Which leads to the corollary: if you don't take care if it, it becomes
broke sooner and then you get to fix it, potentially under unfavorable
conditions.