Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Date: Mar 1992
Subject: Re: Hot Starts

>I am having a hot-start problem.  Does anyone have any experience
>killing a hot start problem?  ( it is not a fuel vaporization
>problem, but a struggle-to-turn-the-engine problem).  Some
>suggestions so far have been

>1) slick 50
>2) wrap the exhaust system
>3) starter heat-sheild
>4) oil cooler
>5) oil pre-luber (run after shutdown to cool engine)
>
>Any other suggestions? I dont *think* its the starter, more like
>an engine that tightens up...

Sounds like you've been out asking out on the usenet :-)  I'll bet
someone will claim that Slick 50 will cure hemoroids.

This problem is almost always too much static advance.  Back the timing
off even a degree or two and the problem will likely go away.  To
positively prove this, next time your engine does its trick, jump
out and pull the ignition lead off then crank again.  If the engine
turns over OK, you've found the problem.

John

From: John De Armond
Date: Apr 1992

>> This problem is almost always too much static advance.  Back the timing
>> off even a degree or two and the problem will likely go away.

>Well, this (unfortunately) was NOT the  problem.  Curious thing
>here...  I had NO hot start problem until I changed the timing and
>ONLY the timing.  I put lighter springs in out HEI distrubutor, and
>adjusted the adjustable vac. advance to its lightest amount.

Uh, that is what I'm talking about.  How much advance you have dialed
in with the engine stopped is the static advance.

>I am stumped.  would changing the timing really cause that much of a
>problem?  the change was a matter of 4 degrees or so.  I am going to
>try changing it back and see if the problem continues.

Yes.  What  happens is the spark ignites the mix while the piston is
still coming up but the engine is not turning fast enough for
inertia to force it through TDC.  Thus the starter stalls until
the pressure bleeds off enough to let the crank go over TDC.
Then the next cylinder does the same thing.  The result is the
starter goes Rrr....Rrr......Rrr......R and nothing happens.

It COULD be a hot starter problem.  I don't want to completely discount
it.  Or it could be a combination of the two.  But you've probably described
the cause exactly when you noted that you'd increased the static advance.

John

From: emory!ucsd.edu!btree!hale (Bob Hale)
Newsgroups: wiz.hotrod
Subject: Re: Mustang Hard to Start (warm)
Date: Tuesday, Jul 14 1992 14:33:50

Tom Cone asks about a hot starting problem:
I have an 84 H.O. Mustang which sometimes turns over like the
battery is dead or low only when the engine is hot(normal
operating range).

The first thing that you need to determine is whether the engine is
firing and pushing back against the starter.  To do this, get the
engine warmed up so that you know the problem will occur, disconnect
the primary power to the ignition, and try cranking it.

If it cranks freely then there is some problem with the ignition timing
being too far advanced at cranking speeds.

If it doesn't crank freely then you have more diagnostic work to do.
Remove all the spark plugs and see how it cranks.  Also look for anything
shooting out of the plug holes (such as water).  Removing the plugs
eliminates the compression load so that the starter power required is
much less; if it still cranks slowly then either there is a lot of
mechanical resistance in the crankshaft/camshaft area or the starter
and related items have a problem (I know, you replaced all these
things but sometimes new parts are bad).

That's about as far as I can go without getting into a dissertation.

Bob Hale                                      ...!ucsd!btree!hale
...!btree!hale@ucsd.edu                       ...!ucsd!btree!hale@uunet.uu.net

Index Home About Blog