Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Ford V10 - Service engine soon message
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 01:23:55 -0500

Harold Burton wrote:

> "mario.clement" <mario.clement@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to turn off this dash message?
>
> Can't really speak to the Ford, but, when my Chevy 3/4 ton had that
> light showing it was telling me I had an EGR valve problem (EPA crap).
> It could have been any of several other malfunctions of pollution
> control sensors.

EGR is used to control detonation so that the engine can be tuned
for more power and still run pump gas.  It also is used to improve
mileage by reducing pumping loss at part throttle operation.  It
does that by raising the manifold pressure.  A relatively minor
function is the control of NOX emissions.  Hardly "EPA crap."