Index Home About Blog
From: John De Armond
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Gum On My Leather Seat
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 02:33:38 -0400

Dfrenchy wrote:

> Help! The gum is spread pretty thin so I don't think ice will do and I'm afraid
> of hair spray. Any suggestions, based on experience?
> Don in NH

Freezing it will always work, even if you end up just brushing off
frozen rubber flakes.  Ice cubes probably won't be enough.  Get a
can of canned air which is almost always R134a or something in that
ballpark. Turn the can upside down, spray the liquid on the gum, let
it freeze and then pick or brush off.

I see others in this thread recommending Goof Off or other strong
solvent. That's the guaranteed way to make a spot in the fabric.  If
not from the dissolved gum, then from the accumulated dirt and
dissolved dye.  Don't do it!