Index Home About Blog
From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Loctite and wheelbuilding
Date: 15 Feb 2001 21:27:55 GMT

Per D. Sørensen writes:

>> If they said that then you ought to take your business elsewhere.
>> They are making up excuses to cover for their poor wheel building
>> practices.  Stainless steel spokes and aluminum or brass nipples do
>> not have a corrosion problem that might threaten your wheels unless
>> you are riding on an ocean beach.

> What is the difference between riding on an ocean beach and riding
> on roads that are salted? I usually find a white substance that I
> assume is salt around the nipples when I remove the tyres and tubes.
> I used to ruin the nipples trying to loosen them until I began
> washing the rim and oiling the nipples before disassembly.

Most places that have snow also have rain and wet roads that washes
that stuff off.  On the other hand, riding on ocean beaches cakes fine
grit and salt onto parts in a way that is far more destructive than
street grit.  I spent a few years commuting in Stuttgart that has
enough snow to characterize the symptoms.  One year had especially
great snowfall and cold:

http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Switzerland/Tour_Reports/Ice_Princ

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

Index Home About Blog