Index Home About Blog
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Subject: Re: Narrow Chains??
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 18:31:46 GMT

John William Zinn writes:

> I bought a used GT Pantera which needs a new chain.  The only hitch is
> that it has Shimano SG sprockets which specify "for narrow chain only."
>  In looking for chains I haven't seen any which are specified "narrow."

Chains prior to the "narrow" chain are no longer made because these
were already "derailleur" chains that were made specifically for close
packed sprocket clusters.  The difference is that the "narrow" chain,
in contrast to its predecessors, has pins that are practically flush
on the outside in contrast to older chains.  Otherwise they are the
same in other dimensions.  The "narrow" chain is the standard today
and fits all the gear systems currently in use.  Individual brands
have details that are made to enhance shifting but they are all
interchangeable otherwise.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

Index Home About Blog