Index Home About Blog
From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Subject: Re: Cramps
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 21:30:04 GMT

David Kerber writes:

>> So what to do about this? How to avoid it.  I want to do rides like
>> this and more.  It wasn't like a bonk.  If it weren't for the
>> cramps, I had plenty of energy to keep going.  It seems like it was
>> some sort of depletion thing going on.  I hit zero on something and
>> the cramps started.  I stopped and recovered a little bit, but
>> before long I zeroed out again, and finally I got to where there
>> was no recovery at all.

> Pure muscular exhaustion can cause cramps, but from what I've read
> and experienced, low electrolytes (particularly potassium and
> sodium) can contribute as well.  In your case, it sounds like you
> had simply over- worked your legs.

In that respect, V8-Vegetable juice is probably the best drink
commonly found in stores that contains the electrolytes needed.  Of
course it isn't a classy name like Power Bar or Gatorade, but it beats
these in content.  Check the label.

Jobst Brandt
jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org

From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 23:41:44 GMT

Someone writes:

>>> Pure muscular exhaustion can cause cramps, but from what I've read
>>> and experienced, low electrolytes (particularly potassium and
>>> sodium) can contribute as well.  In your case, it sounds like you
>>> had simply over- worked your legs.

>> In that respect, V8-Vegetable juice is probably the best drink
>> commonly found in stores that contains the electrolytes needed.  Of
>> course it isn't a classy name like Power Bar or Gatorade, but it beats
>> these in content.  Check the label.

> Ick. The thought of drinking V8 in 95 degree Florida heat makes my
> stomach turn. :-) Think I'll just drink Gatorade and eat a banana...

It's good to see that macho names have a large effect on some
impressionable riders.  it makes the money spent on PR worth while
after all.  I suspect you haven't tasted V8.

"The thought"!  Oh yes the thought!

From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 23:45:59 GMT

Bill Davidson writes:

>> In that respect, V8-Vegetable juice is probably the best drink
>> commonly found in stores that contains the electrolytes needed.  Of
>> course it isn't a classy name like Power Bar or Gatorade, but it
>> beats these in content.  Check the label.

> If only it didn't taste so bad.

People eat Power Bars that can hardly be swallowed without washing
them down with a chaser and taste like cardboard soaked in molasses.
If you can do that, V8 should be tasty.

From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Subject: Re: Salt source for long hot rides
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:51:44 GMT

Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli writes:

> I just got back from a 100-mile training ride here in Florida.  I
> suffered some muscle cramps during the last 20 miles.

I don't think your muscle cramps came from salt deficiency but rather
lack of suitable fittness.  One day of bicycling 100 miles is not
as much a loss of essential salts as it is dehydrating if your don't
drink enough.  Several days of this may be more of a problem, but
one day probably not/

> What's a good source of salt?  It can't be too repulsive because by
> the end of a ride like this I don't feel like eating anything.

You may be aware that NaCl is not the only salt lost and not the one
that causes the most discomfort.  If you eat a well balanced diet, you
shoud not run short of htese salts.  I assure you that riding mny
consecutive 'centuries' with other riders in the Alps did not cause
problems.

Don't believe all the hype about hydration or electrolyte replacement
that the bicycle business promotes.  It ain't so.  You can ride
effectively without a bladder on your back, you can ride without dark
swim goggles, you can ride tubulars and slick 25mm road tires on dirt
roads... without suspension as well as a lot of other thngs that cost
extra.

http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_Al

http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Europe/#Jobst