Index Home About Blog
From: jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org
Subject: Re: Work stand, truing stand and tool kit for $350
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 04:19:02 GMT

Dane Jackson <dane@unseen.edu> writes:

>> calipers.  The only tool that I needed, that wasn't in the kit, was
>> a decent cable and housing cutters.  I bought the Shimano TL-CT10,
>> when it was on sale.  But, there are a number of good cutters and
>> other options, for cable and housing work.

> So, I've heard the Dremel is really nice for cutting housing.  Now,
> I don't have a Dremel, but I do have a 4 1/2" angle grinder with
> some cutting disks.  Anyone have an opinion of if that would do a
> decent job?

You don't need any special cable housing cutters.  Brake cable housing
is made of coiled wire and can be cut with wire cutters for steel just
the same as so called cable housing cutters.  The idea that the end of
the housing must be ground flat is an excessive attention to minutia.
Cable housings have been cut with diagonal cutters effectively for
eons with no ill effects.

Jobst.Brandt@stanfordalumni.org

Index Home About Blog