Index Home About Blog
From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: single pivot side pull brake problem.
Date: 3 May 2001 19:01:35 GMT

Larry Bennett wrote:

> I gave it to my nephew.  Tonight I noticed that the things you flip
> up to release the brake were in the up position...so that the brake
> pads were too far from the rims.  My nephew says that it happens
> when he brakes hard.

The only way I have seen this occur is when a brake chatters severely
when applied.  If I get tar weed goo on my rims riding across a field,
my Campagnolo brakes on my road bicycle chatter enough to rotate the
QR lever to the open position.  Of course, this opening is a trivial
side effect.  The horrendous chatter makes braking nearly useless
anyway and must be corrected.  With roadside water, just riding through
a long mud puddle with the brakes on fixes that.  It has fine scouring
grit and a rinse at the same time.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

Index Home About Blog