Index Home About Blog
From: jbrandt@hpl.hp.com (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Cause of Death for Shimano BioPace?
Date: 13 Nov 1998 17:45:29 GMT

Bill Armstron writes:

> My Miyata LT 1000 touring bike came with BioPace elliptical
> chainrings, which are now defunct.  What was the technical reason
> for eliminating this product?  I recall riders I know saying that
> elliptical rings were murder on the knees, but I have never seen
> anything written up on this.

It was all hype.  Interestingly, it also showed that it didn't affect
rider output positively or negatively.  Ankling and round pedaling are
subjects people like to argue endlessly and BioPace has the answer...
it doesn't matter.

I was even more convinced of this when a friend loaned me a bicycle
that had all sorts of features because it was a demo bike from a
bicycle shop.  Only after I had returned it did I realize I had been
riding BioPace all that time.

Jobst Brandt      <jbrandt@hpl.hp.com>

Index Home About Blog